Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Spring Awakening

When I started this blog on January 1 of this year, it was not my intention to post once every three months. I had very lofty goals of publishing at least weekly. I was sure my life would be so full that there would be plenty to write about. And I was right, there was. There was so much going on that I was completely exhausted every day, and the weeks kept slipping away from me without an update. And now suddenly, almost a quarter of the year is gone.

Yesterday was the vernal equinox, the first day of spring, traditionally representing new growth and new beginnings. In ancient times the rite of spring would be celebrated with sacrifices (sometimes human) to ask for an abundant crop. In the spirit of those ancient rites, I'd like to celebrate the good things that have come my way since I last wrote, and to commit to the universe the hopes I have for the future.

My year got off to an excellent start. I met with the delightful Jessica Russell, head of BluBay Talent Management, on January 5th, and signed with her company for across-the-board management three days later. Although our relationship has yet to yield any work for me, she understands the strategic direction I want to move in. That is, toward network TV instead of re-enactment roles on cable (not that there is anything wrong with those roles, but they only pay $100 per day, and in the long run I want to be making more money than that. A lot more). I was also asked to join the Sky Pilot Theatre Company, a relatively small group that focuses exclusively on new plays. There, I was cast almost immediately in two of ten one-act plays called "REWIND: Netflix Killed the Video Store," my first attempt at late-night sketch comedy, and got rave reviews. I also landed a lead on "I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant," and learned that the newborns used in filming are covered with a mixture of cream cheese and strawberry jam to look, well, newborn. Yuck. And now that I was SAG-eligible, I got five vouchers in two months by doing background work, and had to become a member of the Screen Actors Guild. Not that I minded - this had been my goal for years, and was a must if I want to get network roles.

So now that I am SAG/AFTRA, with nine years of acting experience and some significant credits behind me, I find that it's almost like starting all over again. So much of the work these days available to actors without an agent (I still don't have one, but I'm looking, just slowly) is non-union, which mean unless it is live or theatre, I can't do it. The SAG/AFTRA work that is posted on the Internet is mostly background work and student films (although at the best universities - Chapman, Loyola Marymount, UCLA, and USC). I don't mind doing these, and in fact have booked four jobs since joining SAG four weeks ago. But the number of jobs available for me to submit to has dropped dramatically. I used to have about 20 per day; now I'm lucky to get eight. Where I used to audition about ten times in a week, now I'm lucky if it is four. But thank goodness, with my theatre company I am working every week. I'm currently in rehearsals for an original play called "The Crossings," not associated with Sky Pilot; I play an English woman and get to send the lovely Irish air, "Gartan Mother's Lullaby."

I think being in a theatre company is one of the best things about actually living in LA. My company has an actors' workout every week where we can come and do cold readings or work on scenes and monologues. We will be starting an improv group as well which I hope to be accepted for. We do play readings about once a month; so far I've done one, all monologues for women, playing a Jewish grandmother whose husband has just left her for a younger woman, and it was a blast. Most of our works are comedies and they are a delight to do. In "Rewind," I even got to play the "femme fatale" in a film noir parody and make out with a hot young man who is about half my age. Nice work if you can get it.

Which brings me around to the age issue. I thought that I would find being an older actress very tough, but to tell you the truth I think I might even have it a little easier than the younger girls. I don't have the huge pressure to be skinny or even pretty - I can always be a "character" actor (those are the people who aren't the beautiful leading ladies). I've been lucky enough to play quite a few leads too, though, and I think one reason is because there just aren't as many actresses my age. The competition is much less intense than it is among the 20-something actresses. On the other hand, there are less roles, but there is a wide range that I can play. In addition to the obvious ones (mom, teacher, nurse, business woman), I have played prostitutes (three times), murderers (three times), aging hippies (twice), gypsies (twice), and of course, zombies (twice). In my next film, I'll be playing the sheriff of a border town in New Mexico caught up in the wars with the Mexican drug cartels. God, I love my job!

For me I guess the oddest thing about being an older actor is that quite frequently I am the oldest person in the cast. It's quite an adjustment from my business days, when I was used to being the youngest ever, the first ever, the only woman to....And I was also used to being the hot young thing that got hit on a lot. I still get hit on occasionally (I'm not THAT old), but now someone else is the hot young thing. And although I kind of miss the attention, I find that it's kind of a relief too. It's like I can...exhale, to borrow from Terry McMillan. Also, I find that I am enjoying being sort of a surrogate mom or big sister to the younger cast members. Since I don't have children of my own, it's a great outlet for my maternal instincts. So right now, I feel like being older is a good thing. I may feel differently by the next time I write.

So what do I hope for, as I stand on the cusp of springtime? Well, I hope I am ready to blossom like the trees and flowers already arehere in LA. I'm hoping to start getting at least auditions for guest parts on network TV series. And by network, I'm referring to the Big Four - ABC, CBS, Fox, and NBC. Everything else is considered cable. The type of parts I could expect to get would be "under-five" (as in less than five lines), featured, co-star and guest star, with each one being a little larger. Most guest star parts for women my age go to "name" (well-known) actresses these days, often former TV stars who will work for amazingly low wages. It's hard to quit when you've been acting all your life. My ultimate goal would be to have a recurring role on a network comedy or drama along the lines of "Castle," a police procedural with a lot of tongue-in-cheek humor. Universe, are you listening? In the meantime, I continue to pursue every role that is available to and suited for me, and work as much as I can. As long as I am having fun, and as long as my health holds up, I'm not giving up.

Moving on - I'm at the age where most women in Hollywood start having what is euphemistically known as "work done," i.e. plastic surgery, botox, liposuction, etc. I'm considering some of these options now and will try to write about that next time. Unless something more interesting happens between now and then. And if it does, it may take me a while to get around to writing about it. But that's a good thing.

Til next time - Jennie

No comments:

Post a Comment